Monday, September 15, 2014

The Glass Ocean

Craft. I started to read to read Lori Baker’s debut novel, The Glass Ocean, three different times over the course of several months. Her finely crafted prose, packed with descriptive language, wore me down the first two attempts I made to get into the novel. The third time was the charm. Packed with the atmosphere of the Victorian era in which it is set, I needed to let myself be drawn into that time and setting to allow Baker to work her magic. By the end I was delighted with this story of a woman’s recollections of her life in the mid-1800s. The title refers to the glass objects of sea life crafted by her father. Baker applies a similar attention to detail and craftsmanship in her prose, and patient readers who enjoy finely written literary fiction will be rewarded. Rating: Four-star (I like it) Click here to purchase The Glass Ocean from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment