Thursday, October 15, 2015

Purity

Kudos. Jonathan Franzen won me over on so many levels in his novel titled, Purity. As one who is quick to judge, he trapped me into suspending my judgment. As one who thought that era for sweeping 19th century novels like those of Dickens and Fielding were long gone, he revived much of the form to my great satisfaction. As one who dislikes reading endlessly about sad and depressing dysfunctional relationships, Franzen caught me up short as he made a difficult mother-daughter relationship funny and loving, despite the mother being one of the most difficult persons presented in fiction. Toxic relationships can make us unclean, but love can purify anything. Kudos to Franzen on what I consider his best novel yet. Any reader who loves great writing and who can find humor in our human foibles will find a lot to enjoy in this novel. Rating: Five-star (I love it) Click here to purchase Purity from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment