Thursday, April 24, 2014

Lexicon

Persuasion. I find myself lost for words in trying to describe a novel about the power of words. How strange is that? I can’t even assign a specific genre to Max Barry’s interesting novel, Lexicon, but if pressed, I would lean toward dystopian. What I can say is that I was entertained by this unusual novel. Protagonist Emily Ruff is a San Francisco street person eking out a living from three card monte. Her persuasive skills are noted by recruiters for an organization that learns how to use the power of words to control others. Her skills are formidable, and she falls in love with a man who seems immune from the power of her words. Emily is used to test the power of a word called a bareroot that carries remarkable power. There’s violence, intrigue and clever twists throughout the novel, and like many dystopian novels, there is also the overpowering impact of love. Rating: Four-star (I like it) Click here to purchase Lexicon from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment