Friday, November 18, 2016

The Last Days of New Paris

Surreal. I’m as prepared as the next guy to suspend my disbelief willingly when reading fiction. China Mieville tested my willingness severely in his novel titled, The Last Days of New Paris. Mieville sets the novel in Paris during and after World War II, and in his alternative reality, the Nazis are fighting Surrealist phantoms. Some of the demons seem to be real ones straight from hell. Perhaps because I don’t care for surrealism in two dimensions, I can’t appreciate the art when presented in three dimensions. I stuck to the end of this novel for two reasons: it’s brief and I was impressed by the creativity and interesting writing. Readers with a greater appreciation of art than mine are those most likely to enjoy reading this novel. Rating: Three-star (It’s ok) Click here to purchase The Last Days of New Paris from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment