Tuesday, January 3, 2017

The Mighty Currawongs and Other Stories

Humanity. After I finished reading the 33 short stories in the collection by Brian Doyle titled, The Mighty Currawongs and Other Stories, I found myself feeling very good about our human condition. Doyle captures images of interesting people in delightful settings and invites readers to share in the joys, sorrows and foibles of our human condition. I find that many short stories can leave me wanting more, but there’s a sense of completion in each of Doyle’s stories: he writes just enough, and not a word more than is necessary. One of the stories about an archbishop made me think of Willa Cather, and I thought that aspects of Doyle’s writing mirrors the ways in which Cather presented depth of character with great efficiency. Doyle’s skill brought me great reading pleasure along with a renewed confidence in our resilience. Rating: Five-star (I love it) Click here to purchase The Mighty Currawongs from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment