Thursday, September 16, 2021

We Need To Talk: A Memoir About Wealth

Disconnected. It’s hard to talk about money. I recall some decades ago making conversation with another parent during parent’s weekend at a university. From my clueless ignorance, I asked a dairy farmer how many cows he had, not realizing that that question was the equivalent of asking to peek at a statement of his financial assets. In her memoir titled, We Need to Talk: A Memoir About Wealth, Jennifer Risher shares her own life experience with money, and how upon achieving significant wealth, she found herself conflicted. I found myself wincing often as I read this book, realizing how disconnected Risher’s life is from all but a tiny proportion of our planet’s population. Her memoir involves a privileged first world millionaire trying not to decide how much private jet travel can be done as a family before the children feel entitled. I encourage readers of this memoir to consider the experience like a trip to the zoo: the observation of a species not quite like our own. Rating: Four-star (I like it) Click here to purchase We Need to Talk from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment