Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Five Days at Memorial: Life and Death in a Storm-Ravaged Hospital

Intense. I expected to browse, but not read, Sheri Fink’s book, Five Days at Memorial: Life and Death in a Storm-Ravaged Hospital. After all, I had read her Pulitzer-winning work in The New York Times on what happened at this New Orleans hospital during Hurricane Katrina. I surprised myself when I started reading because I couldn’t put this book down. Fink provides a comprehensive examination of who did what under crisis. She does a great job at helping readers see the people and the places with great clarity, and provides a thought provoking analysis of how individuals made decisions. Her writing helped me see the place and get to know the people. Any reader interested in medical ethics as well as anyone who enjoys compelling non-fiction, will find much to enjoy in this finely written book. Rating: Four-star (I like it) Click here to purchase Five Days at Memorial from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment