Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Long Lankin

Early. I zipped through the short stories in a collection titled Long Lankin, representing early writing by John Banville. I found it hard to separate my perspective on the recent long fiction, which I loved, from these raw sketches. With the benefit of hindsight, it is easy for most readers to see the great skill that Banville displays in these early works. I finished each story somewhat satisfied, but wishing that the characters were more fully developed, as Banville has done in his novels. Some great writers specialize in genre, and I’m clearly biased that Banville’s novels allow him the space to explore life more completely. These short pieces show great skill and insight, but left me longing for more. Rating: Three-star (It’s ok) Click here to purchase Long Lankin from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment