Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Love, Dishonor, Marry, Die, Cherish, Perish

Rhyme. It takes an unusual writer to even consider writing a novel in verse. It requires a very skilled writer to pull it off, especially in just over one hundred pages. The late David Rakoff accomplished both successfully in his final book, Love, Dishonor, Marry, Die, Cherish, Perish. I felt compelled to experience this novel in two ways: I read it on paper, and then listened to it being read by Rakoff. With my knowledge that he was dying as he recorded, I found myself listening even more closely to his expression and delivery. This novel does what we want any good novel to do: hold up for us life in all its richness and help us see and feel the wonders of human behavior. I highly recommend that you consider reading this novel, and then consider listening to Rakoff reading it to you. Rating: Four-star (I like it) Click here to purchase Love Dishonor from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment