Friday, October 12, 2018

Contempt: A Memoir of the Clinton Investigation

Role. Don’t leap too fast to your tribal corner before considering whether or not to read Ken Starr’s book titled, Contempt: A Memoir of the Clinton Investigation. I almost decided not to read the book because twenty years have passed since Starr performed his role as special prosecutor, and I didn’t think I’d be reading anything here other than a self-serving perspective. When I realized that of all the views on that time, I knew the least about Starr’s, so I read this book and I’m glad I did. While sanctimonious at times, and certainly more positive about his behavior that others might be, the book lays out a well-written and cogent story of the Clinton investigation. The title discloses in just one word Starr’s judgment about both Bill and Hillary Clinton’s relationship with the law. Starr describes his own respect for the law and makes the case that he carried out his role in this affair with integrity. We already know who lied, but Starr describes examples of the depth of evasion and contempt on the part of both Clintons. The divisions from two decades ago pale in comparison to today’s polarization and reading Starr’s perspective on his role at that time helped my thinking about contemporary issues and what may be ahead. Readers engaged in public affairs should spend time reading this book and thinking about it. Rating: Four-star (I like it) Click here to purchase Contempt from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment