Tuesday, March 25, 2014

The Bully Pulpit: Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, and the Golden Age of Journalism

Setbacks. My patience in reading history can be fickle. I often abandon three hundred page books that I find too detailed, while I can read a book with a thousand pages that retains my interest throughout. I was totally engaged by Doris Kearns Goodwin’s lively writing in her book titled, The Bully Pulpit: Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, and the Golden Age of Journalism. She relates stories set at the beginning of the twentieth century in ways that will inform and delight any reader with an interest in politics. She pays particular attention to the journalists of that era, especially those at McClure’s, and the influence of those journalists on public policy. Teddy Roosevelt and Will Taft are presented with both breadth and insight. Both presidents and the journalists accomplish many great outcomes, and also suffer significant setbacks. Goodwin brings understanding about this exciting period to modern readers through her great writing. Rating: Five-star (I love it) Click here to purchase The Bully Pulpit from amazon.com.

1 comment: