Friday, May 16, 2014

The Rest of Us

Artists. I find that at some times I prefer novels that reinforce for me a familiarity with human nature, and at other times I like novels that introduce to me aspects of human behavior with which I am more unfamiliar. I assign Jessica Lott’s debut novel, The Rest of Us, to that latter category. The lives and behavior of the central characters of this novel involve dimensions of academia and art that are unfamiliar to me. I found myself entranced by this love story supplemented by the passion of being artists. I didn’t like the characters, and didn’t identify with them, but thanks to Lott’s fine prose, I kept wanting to see where all this would lead, and how their lives would change. Readers willing to try a literary debut novel should consider reading this one. Rating: Four-star (I like it) Click here to purchase The Rest of Us from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment