Friday, July 22, 2016

Voyager: Travel Writings

Escape. Travel takes us away from where we are and toward becoming aware of who we are. Travel writing can be banal or can lead us to deep insight. Russell Banks is a terrific writer, and the essays in Voyager: Travel Writings were a delight to read. While I would never want to climb a mountain, his writing about climbing gave me some insights into human nature. While I would never want to drive a Hummer, his driving experience for a magazine article made me laugh. Having been married for decades, I don’t identify with his experience of four marriages, but his writing about eloping with his fourth wife was enlightening. Readers who like fine writing, and have an appreciation for wanderlust of all sorts are those most likely to enjoy reading this book. Rating: Four-star (I like it) Click here to purchase Voyager from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment