Sunday, January 28, 2018

The Lightkeepers

Observations. Every forty pages or so, at the beginning of Abby Geni's novel titled, The Lightkeepers, I took a pause and almost stopped reading. Protagonist Miranda is a nature photographer and she has moved to the Farallon Islands for a year or taking pictures, living with a group of biologists who are observing sea life or birds or the natural environment of this remote location. The setting is depressing, dangerous and ripe for violence. The characters are unappealing and quirky. Since at every juncture, Geni's well-written prose led me to plod along, I stopped those pauses by the middle of the novel, and the plot momentum kept me engaged to the end, and I finished the novel well-satisfied, especially by the exploration of memory and the method of the biologists to observe, but not interfere. Geni makes all the different levels come together and work. Rating: Four-star (I like it) Click here to purchase The Lightkeepers from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment