Thursday, March 26, 2020

The Innocents

Isolation. I finished reading Michael Crummey’s novel titled, The Innocents, on the day that the mayor of my town declared a shelter-in-place order to slow the spread of Covid-19. That context is helpful, considering that as a result of reading this novel, I had a positive view of the richness of life that can come even from isolation. In the novel, a brother and sister eke out ways of surviving in coastal Newfoundland where they live in primitive habitation far from other people. From the title, readers can expect that the isolation represents innocence on the part of these characters. I found the story riveting and well-told. Whether you are in isolation or not, you may be gripped by this story and how living for another day is rich in and of itself, whether your supplies are sufficient or running low. Rating: Four-star (I like it) Click here to purchase The Innocents from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment