Tuesday, September 8, 2020

Cher Ami and Major Whittlesey

Pluck. I didn’t expect that I would have the patience to allow much time for a pigeon narrator to keep my attention while reading Kathleen Rooney’s novel titled, Cher Ami and Major Whittlesey. Thanks to Rooney’s fine writing, I easily warmed to the voice of a homing pigeon and anticipated the return to that voice after Major Whittlesey provided his point of view as the alternating narrator. The pair were joined together in World War I when the pigeon Cher Ami flew through enemy lines to deliver a message that the major and his battalion were cut off from the rest of the army and were the objects of friendly fire. Rooney took this historical event and brought it to life through imagining those times from two very different perspectives. She explores the wounds to both narrators and the deep cost of war.

 

Rating: Four-star (I like it)

Click here to purchase Cher Ami and Major Whittlesey from amazon.com.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment