Tuesday, August 27, 2013

The White Princess

Tudor. Readers looking for a fat and juicy historical novel are those most likely to enjoy the latest book from Philippa Gregory titled, The White Princess. Protagonist Elizabeth of York finds her life upended after the battle of Bosworth field. Gregory develops Elizabeth and each historical character with sensitivity to historical facts, a view on speculative theories, and a lively writing style. I find that I enjoy the ways in which well-written historical fiction can help me think about historical figures in a broader way, beyond the few sound bites that I recall of their place in history. Gregory’s fine writing makes me think about these characters as more complete human beings, and her development of them in all their complexity provided me with hours of reading pleasure. Rating: Five-star (I love it) Click here to purchase The White Princess from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment