Tuesday, September 8, 2020

Vesper Flights

Outside. I spent a half hour sitting on the screened back porch yesterday morning watching a hummingbird rest at our feeder, sheltered from the rain, and slurping our sugar water. I had just finished reading Helen Macdonald’s essay collection titled, Vesper Flights, so I was primed to observe birds or other aspects of nature and not pay attention to the passing of time. Each of her essays in this collection contains fine writing and close observations about our world and ourselves. As I write this quick review, I’m back on the porch looking up often from the laptop to watch a bird in flight, a squirrel leaping from one branch to another, a Monarch landing on the milkweed and a rabbit scooting to a hiding place under a shrub. Grand!

 

Rating: Four-star (I like it)

Click here to purchase Vesper Flights from amazon.com.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment