Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Bad English: A History of Linguistic Aggravation

Malleable. I was greatly entertained by Ammon Shea’s book, Bad English: A History of Linguistic Aggravation, until he skewered me with one of those “misuses” that drives me nuts. Then, of course, I laughed at my umbrage. Shea revels in how malleable English is, and that frequent use can lead to acceptance, no matter what the grammar scolds may desire. I loved his list of 221 words now in common use that were once called out as being in error. Lovers of language who make the occasional “mistake” will love reading this book. Editors should brace for blows when writers use this book as a weapon to support word selection. Rating: Four-star (I like it) Click here to purchase Bad English from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment