Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Some Luck

Iowa. The ordinary lives and simple language and dialogue presented by Jane Smiley in her novel, Some Luck, may lead some readers to overlook the elegance of this wonderful novel. In these ordinary lives in Iowa from the 1920s to the 1950s, we discover interesting and complex characters experiencing all the dimensions of life. I found myself caring deeply about what happens to them. I marveled at the great insight Smiley shows about the inner lives of young children. Her beautiful and descriptive language brought the setting to vivid display. This is the first of a trilogy, and I, for one, am thrilled that Smiley is back in Iowa, writing the story of America through an interesting rural family. Rating: Five-star (I love it) Click here to purchase Some Luck from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment