Monday, November 24, 2014

Machine Made: Tammany Hall and the Creation of Modern American Politics

Clout. I spent about six months reading Terry Golway’s fine book titled, Machine Made: Tammany Hall and the Creation of Modern American Politics. I took my time to savor the story and reflect on how what Tammany created played out in the American political environment of 2014. Instead of the caricature I had of Tammany Hall before reading this book, I came away with increase knowledge and respect for the impact of Tammany Hall on politics in the United States. The divisions in society then and now are similar, and the nativists Tammany fought appear today in the form of those opposed to immigration reform. Anyone interested in politics will find a lot to enjoy and learn from reading this book. Rating: Four-star (I like it) Click here to purchase Machine Made from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment