Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Autumn

Leaving. If I were a novelist embarking on four novels involving the seasons, I would probably start with Spring. Ali Smith plans to write four seasonal novels, and her first novel in the quartet is titled, Autumn. I wonder how much Brexit had to do with her choice of a starting point. Considering all the leaves and leavings taking place in Smith’s take on Autumn, I think her choice to start with the season of fruitfulness makes great sense. Daniel and Elizabeth are neighbors with a wide difference in age. Smith offers their unlikely love as a way to draw readers into the fragility of life, the shortness of our seasons, and to reflect about the harvest that might be reaped from our lives. I was filled with wonder as I turned these pages, watching how Smith could deal with a range of emotions with such skill. Readers who enjoy finely written literary fiction are those most likely to enjoy reading this novel. Rating: Five-star (I love it) Click here to purchase Autumn from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment