Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Ill Will

Unsettling. Don’t be alone when you read Dan Chaon’s latest psychological thriller titled, Ill Will, not just because there’s a murder at the core of the story. I’ve found a theme of being unsettled in Chaon’s other writing, and in many ways this novel left me feeling not just unsettled, but somewhat unmoored. A major part of the novel involves the unreliability of memory, and for anyone who questions our own recollection of the past, this novel can lead one’s mind to travel down paths that are missing all guardrails and road signs. Maybe I am not who I think I am. Short chapters from multiple points of view can keep a reader off balance, and Chaon does that well. Along the way, he builds the complexity of each character as he reveals more about each individual character that leads us to revise early impressions. I was entertained by reading this novel, and frankly, was a little relieved to close the last page. Rating: Four-star (I like it) Click here to purchase Ill Will from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment