Thursday, April 22, 2021

This Is the Voice

Informative. As an amateur singer and multi-decade member of a choir, I came to John Colapinto’s book titled, This Is the Voice, with some knowledge about the instrument I use when I sing. Happily, I was both entertained and informed by this book which crosses many disciplines to describe the ways in which our ability to convey meaning through sound has defined our species. I ached when I read about how Colapinto damaged his voice and thought about the skills of those otolaryngologists who restore and strengthen voices. Next time I feel strain while reaching for a note, I’ll think of this book, relax, and not put my vocal instrument at risk. Readers who enjoy popular science books will find a lot to learn from this entertaining and interesting book. Rating: Four-star (I like it) Click here to purchase This Is the Voice from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment