Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Quichotte

Satire. Fans of literary fiction are those readers most likely to revel in all the levels of delight that can be found on the pages of Salman Rushdie’s novel titled, Quichotte. Rushdie structures the novel as a story in a story. Part of the novel pays homage to Cervantes by updating that classic satirist with a skewering take on contemporary life. Words ricochet from racism to reality television to the opioid crisis. In more subtle ways, Rushdie explores family separation and the things that can alienate us from close family members. For every three references that made me chuckle, I’m sure two passed me by in the writer’s exuberance and my inattention. Smart readers can open these pages to be treated with respect and then lean toward understanding the importance of reconciliation in our lives. Rating: Five-star (I love it) Click here to purchase Quichotte from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment