Tuesday, September 24, 2019

The Ghosts of Eden Park: The Bootleg King, the Women Who Pursued Him, and the Murder That Shocked Jazz-Age America

Remus. I don’t read a lot of true crime books, but I’ve enjoyed Karen Abbott’s prior books, so I picked up her latest, The Ghosts of Eden Park: The Bootleg King, the Women Who Pursued Him, and the Murder That Shocked Jazz-Age America. I had never heard of a bootlegger named George Remus who in 1935 owned more than a third of all the liquor in the United States. Thanks to Abbott’s fine writing, she pulls readers into the world of this larger than life character and what the USA was like during Prohibition. I defy readers to complete these 400+ pages and not at some time find oneself rooting for George Remus, especially when one’s enthusiasm has been enhanced by a few fingers of bourbon. Rating: Four-star (I like it) Click here to purchase The Ghosts of Eden Park from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment