Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Supper Club

Appetite. I found Lara Williams’ debut novel titled, Supper Club, to be very odd. A group of women formed a club at which they satisfy their appetites. The hungers are real and the ways in which desires are fulfilled kept me scratching my head, unsure whether to laugh or cry. I mostly laughed but recognized that I was reading about deep depression and the ways in which making connections with others in contemporary society can be difficult. Each of us engages with the world in a unique way. Protagonist Roberta is fully herself in this novel, and as we get to know her, we come to understand her engagement, no matter how different it is from our own. Williams’ prose is finely written, and I can say with certainty that I’ve never read a novel quite like this one. Rating: Four-star (I like it) Click here to purchase Supper Club from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment