Friday, June 16, 2017

The Last Days of Night

Cravath. Fans of historical fiction that doesn’t stray far from fact are those most likely to enjoy reading Graham Moore’s novel titled, The Last Days of Night. Set in the 1890s, the novel features a large cast of well-known characters including George Westinghouse, Thomas Edison, Nicola Tesla, J.P. Morgan and Alexander Graham Bell. The protagonist is young lawyer Paul Cravath whose name may be known to many, but whose life hasn’t been written about often. Cravath is hired by Westinghouse to defend his company in lawsuits with Edison over light bulb patents. Moore captures the excitement of the time when inventions were proliferating and fortunes were being made. Moore even makes the lawsuits exciting. The pace of the novel is quicker than most thrillers, and I was enthralled and entertained from beginning to end. A friend who is an attorney recommended this novel, and I put it at the top of my queue. I never would have guessed on my own that a lawyer could have been such an interesting character. Rating: Four-star (I like it) Click here to purchase The Last Days of Night from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment